2/15/12

ada








I almost forgot about Ada! I photographed this sweater a while back on Chloe before she left town. It was a chilly 15º that November morning, but it is certainly hard to tell...the sun looks so warm on Chloe's face.

But, actually, I haven't forgotten about Ada because I wear her almost daily. Ada was inspired by Andrea Zittel’s panel project Formerly known as Smockshop, which is a line of products by various artists that have a common principle—the rectangle. Though Ada is not a true rectangle since it is worked in the round to the underarm, it does embody a boxy, relaxed style that is simple to knit (double seed stitch) and easy to wear.

I'd like to give my studio mate, Karen Gelardi, credit for introducing me to Andrea Zittel's projects. She is one of the artists to contribute to both Smockshop and Formerly known as Smockshop.

Ada
lark/sabine
Ravelry link here.

11 comments:

Corinne Cunningham said...

Gorgeous!!

Lady Lavender of the Kitchen said...

Beautiful! Love the simplicity. I'm tempted to knit one longer.

madder said...

thanks! it would be really easy extend to body length on this pattern since there is no side shaping.

Evelyn said...

This is one of those sweaters that I would put on everyday if I could. I love Zittel's work ... always have.

ECarey said...

Do you ever do photo shoots on Peaks Island?

madder said...

I definitely had the "uniform" in mind when I designed Ada. :)
I have photographed out on Peaks before. And, I lived out there, too! It's really a fun, beautiful place.

knitlit kate said...

lovely stitch on that design. what is it?

madder said...

It's double seed stitch--so much fun to knit. I was really obsessed with it last Fall.

ECarey said...

OMG you lived on Peaks?! My family has a house on Pleasant. I just submitted an article to the Spinning Wheel Sleuth about the wheel at the Fifth Maine!

madder said...

Cool! I lived on Torrington next to the cemetery. It was a fantastic, cold, and spooky winter.

ECarey said...

Wow, I would love to hear about Peaks over the Winter! I'm going to email you on Ravelry...I love that Portland is so filled with fiber artists!