8/28/12

Family Mittens



I am very pleased to present Family Mittens, a pattern recently published in Taproot Magazine's third issue, Retreat. The pattern has six different sizes to include the whole family. I used Puffin, Osprey, Lark, and Chickadee: chunky and quick for Men (Puffin), soft in Aran for the Ladies and Older Child (Osprey), lofty worsted for the Young Child and Toddler (Lark), and gentle-to-the-touch sport weight for the babes (Chickadee). Something for everyone--and you get to sample 4 Quince & Co. yarns if you make them all!

I'd like to thank the wonderful Fettig family for modeling the mittens on the hottest, most muggy day of the summer. It was the least kindest conditions you could ask for, especially considering this was shot for a Fall issue. As if the heat and humidity weren't enough, it was just about to begin raining and the darling little babe, Mabel, was getting hungry and the active toddler boy, Jonah, was getting more active by the minute. We had about 8 minutes in their backyard. But, it was fun and turned out fine! So, thank you Abe, Hannah, Jonah, and Mabel.

xo
c

9 comments:

Abe said...

You're welcome! It was our pleasure, and a fun chance to see your photography skills in action.

Unknown said...

L o v e ! ! !

madder said...

Thanks, MJ!

EMMA said...

Hi Carrie, I've just knit up my first mitten (via Taproot) but have run into a little problem on the thumb. The answer is no doubt staring me in the face but I just can't see it!! hope you don't mind me asking?...
I'm using the magic loop and when I got to placing the 6 sts (womens size) for the thumb I put them on a bit of waste yarn and continued on. Now I'm on the thumb bit and and I'm meant to have 12 sts! Was I meant to make 6 at some point?
I'm very pleased with my mitten, it's a very easy pattern to follow and has knit up very quickly. Now if I can just do the thumbs!!
Thank you.

madder said...

Hi Emma!
I think it's okay. Once you remove the waste yarn, you'll have 6 sts on the row that was above the waste yarn, and 6 sts below. So, even though it looks like you only have 6 at the moment--you'll see once you remove the waste yarn that you actually have 12. Good luck! Let me know how that goes....
:)
Carrie

EMMA said...

Hi Carrie, thank you for your reply. I have found my '12' stitches! I have never knitted thumbs in this way, usually there is some kind of gusset thing to do! I like your method, it's much easier!
I have finished my mitts and have had lots of compliments! Great pattern!
Thanks.

Kristen said...

OK, trying out the family mitten and having a similar problem that Emma had. I've frogged it twice now! I'm sure it is such an easy solution that I am just missing. After I knit 6 stitches with the waste yarn for the thumb (making ladies) where exactly do I put those stitches? I've done it a couple ways and can't seem to get the 12 stitches revealed. Thanks in advance for you help!

Kristen said...

Carrie - just posted a question a few minutes ago a bit too soon....was about to frog the mitten when alas, I noticed a thumb hole with 12 revealed stitches! Yay! (Sorry to bother you!)

madder said...

Kristen--glad you found the 12 stitches! :)
Carrie